How can I get a copy of my records?

 Records can be obtained by submitting an HIPAA compliant authorization to release health information.  For your convenience, you can print off a release of information by clicking on the “Authorization for Release of Protected Health Information” phrase under “Documents” on this page.  The release should be filled out completely and be legible.  You must sign and date the release of information.  You may be asked to submit a copy of a picture ID.  This can be submitted to the Health Information Management department in person, via fax (805-737-3386) or via U.S. Mail.  Record requests must be made by the patient if the patient is 18 years or older. A patient’s legal representative may request records if submitted with a copy of legal documents stating they are the legal representative.

There may be charges to obtain your medical records.  These charges are assessed in accordance with California Health and Safety Code.  We can give you an estimate of the charges for obtaining your records once we receive your completed release of information.  Records can be mailed or picked up in person.

Documents & Forms

Release of Protected Health Information


Notice of Privacy Practices


Who has access to my medical records?

Access to all medical records are obtainable by any law enforcement agency: sheriff, coroner, FBI, local police departments, Child Protective Services (CPS), etc. in the role of their investigation. Doctors, doctor's offices and hospitals affiliated with your care request records and often require the consent of the patient.

What if I am unable to get my own records?

In the case of an emergency the patient should have a durable power of attorney completed or on file with us. If the patient is not able to request their own records, their Durable Power or Attorney (DPOA) comes into effect and their agents request records. LVMC offers Advanced Directives free of charge.

Am I able to request my children's records?

Parents are authorized copies of children records when the child is under the age of 18.

Should I get a copy of my records if I move?

Not necessarily. With your consent, LVMC medical records are available to your new physician. For further information, please call our staff at 805-737-3330.